Friday, April 17, 2009

Elizabeth's Mysterious Rash









Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from Elizabeth's school saying that she had broken out in a mysterious rash. I rushed to her school to see what as going on and when I got there I was speechless! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see her like that! Her lips were so swollen they started to crack. I called the Dr's office and told them we were coming in and needed to see a Dr. right away. As soon as I got there we were led back to an office where the nurse was so surpised by what she saw she immeditaly asked if she was breathing fine. Luckily she had no problems with that she just itched like crazy! While we were there we ruled out the obvious, no unusual foods, no new medicines, school lunch was the same types of foods she eats normally and never had a problem, no new cleaning products in the house nothing had changed. According to the Dr the most common reason for someone to break out in hives is a reaction to new medicine and the 2nd most common is new foods, then he said that 50% of cases like this the don't know what caused it or why. So here we are with a child who has broken out in a severe case of hives and we don't know why. He prescibed an oral medication and Cortizone 10.
It started at her head and worked it's way all the way down to her toes. It looked like it was flushing it's self out but by the time it got to her toes she started screaming. It was the worst experience of my life! She was screaming it burns, it hurts so bad make it stop. I had no idea what to do so I went to the kitchen grabbed a baggy and filled it with ice and made her put her feet on it. It seemed to help. She soon fell asleep on the couch and I carried her to bed. I didn't get much sleep last night. Every hour or so she woke up b/c it started itching again. So I would apply more Cortizone 10 and we'd go back to sleep. When my alarm clock went off this morning I turned on the light to see how she looked. It was all over her face. Her lips were so swollen they were bleeding and on the cycle went. She has been without a sign of a hive for a couple of hours now, but I just did another check of her and it's starting at her ankle now. The cycle continues. The doctor said by Saturday afternoon it should run its course and she should be fine but if not we will go back to the Dr on Sunday.
Let's pray she gets better soon! I feel so bad for her! I will keep you all updated!


2 comments:

  1. Have you given her children's benadryl? That would help her with the itch and swelling. I would do that every 6 hours.
    How scary...but if she is breathing ok, then you know she'll be ok.
    Let me know how she's doing!
    (Sorry for the un-asked PA's advice.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure if i could mix medicines. And any advice you give is greatly appreciated! I had no idea what I was doing!

    ReplyDelete